Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ocean Odyssey on the move, etc...

I caught Ocean Odyssey, the former oil drilling rig turned mobile spacecraft launch platform, on its way out to sea this morning. I had a great view of it from one of the gun emplacements that overlook the harbor at Angels Gate, so I went out with the tripod and snapped some pictures with my so-so zoom lens. According to the Sea Launch website, she's gone to sea to launch the NSS-8 communications satellite. Enjoy.










above - the closest-up I could get. You can see the regular old "non launchpad" drilling rigs that are out in the channel behind it.















above - a wide shot - she's big, and was moving surprisingly fast.














above - I had a decent view so I took it and you might enjoy. The container ship Saga in the harbor.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of camera are you shooting with?

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm shooting with a Nikon D70. Most of the photos I'm taking are with the stock lens (18-70mm), but these were taken with a really dodgy 70-300mm lens I've got kicking around.

4:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saga is the shipping company. According to the Ship Arrivals thingie in the Daily Breeze, you were probably looking at the Saga Horizon.

While googling for the name of this ship, I learned that she was the subject of a Greenpeace scuffle in 2000, and that somebody made a six-DVD series following her on a voyage around the world. Some famous ship, the Horizon.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home