Thursday, January 25, 2007

Mystery Helicopters?

mystery-helicopter

Up at the Cultural Center, we get a fair amount of interesting air traffic. Military reenactors in vintage WWII planes looping about, slow moving blimps, various coast guard, LAPD and Fire Department choppers, etc... But for the past several weeks, we've been getting some really, really close flybys by a pair of choppers, of the type above.

They seem to take off from Fort MacArthur (I saw them briefly parked on the lawn there - or what appeared to be them, anyways - couldn't read the markings), fly up over Angels Gate and the Marine Exchange, make a circle out over the channel, come back, make the circle again, and then head back to where they came from. Anyone have any ideas or clues, or maybe you saw them and read the markings?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like something straight out of irwolf.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could be from a film shoot, but I'm not sure. "24" shot around AG awhile ago with military copters.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The other day while riding I saw one of them flying along the channel. There was what looked like a registration number on the tail boom. I tried to read it while simultaneously trying to stay out of potholes and what have you, and it looked to me like "N23LA."

Googling this, however, brings up an aircraft registry wherein that number is associated with a Piper fixed-wing aircraft. So I guess that wasn't it. Sorry.

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home